Jun 17 2011

Simple Kalman filter for tracking using OpenCV 2.2 [w/ code]

Published by at 12:49 am under code,opencv,vision,Website

Hi,
I wanted to put up a quick note on how to use Kalman Filters in OpenCV 2.2 with the C++ API, because all I could find online was using the old C API. Plus the kalman.cpp example that ships with OpenCV is kind of crappy and really doesn't explain how to use the Kalman Filter.
I'm no expert on Kalman filters though, this is just a quick hack I got going as a test for a project. It worked, so I'm posting the results.

The Filter

So I wanted to do a 2D tracker that is more immune to noise. For that I set up a Kalman filter with 4 dynamic parameters and 2 measurement parameters (no control), where my measurement is: 2D location of object, and dynamic is: 2D location and 2D velocity. Pretty simple, and it makes the transition matrix also simple.

KalmanFilter KF(4, 2, 0);
KF.transitionMatrix = *(Mat_<float>(4, 4) << 1,0,1,0,   0,1,0,1,  0,0,1,0,  0,0,0,1);
Mat_<float> measurement(2,1); measurement.setTo(Scalar(0));

// init...
KF.statePre.at<float>(0) = mouse_info.x;
KF.statePre.at<float>(1) = mouse_info.y;
KF.statePre.at<float>(2) = 0;
KF.statePre.at<float>(3) = 0;
setIdentity(KF.measurementMatrix);
setIdentity(KF.processNoiseCov, Scalar::all(1e-4));
setIdentity(KF.measurementNoiseCov, Scalar::all(1e-1));
setIdentity(KF.errorCovPost, Scalar::all(.1));

Cool, moving on to the dynamic part.
So I set up a mouse callback to get the mouse position every "frame" (a 100ms wait), and feed that into the filter:

// First predict, to update the internal statePre variable
Mat prediction = KF.predict();
Point predictPt(prediction.at<float>(0),prediction.at<float>(1));

// Get mouse point
measurement(0) = mouse_info.x;
measurement(1) = mouse_info.y;

Point measPt(measurement(0),measurement(1));

// The "correct" phase that is going to use the predicted value and our measurement
Mat estimated = KF.correct(measurement);
Point statePt(estimated.at<float>(0),estimated.at<float>(1));

All the rest is garnish (see the code)..

The important bit is to see that Predict() happens before Correct(). This is according to the excellent Kalman filter tutorial I found. Look carefully at Figure 1-2!! It will sort you out. Also take a look at OpenCV's internal impl of Kalman, see that it follows these steps closely. Especially Mat& KalmanFilter::predict(const Mat& control) and Mat& KalmanFilter::correct(const Mat& measurement).
Another good place I found that helped me formulate the parameters for the filter is this place. Again, take everything with a grain of salt, because Kalman Filters are very versatile you just need to know how to formulate them right.

Result

Using velocity:

Not using velocity:

Some Video

Code

As usual, grab the code off the SVN:

svn co http://morethantechnical.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/mouse_kalman/main.cpp

Enjoy,
Roy.

46 responses so far

46 Responses to “Simple Kalman filter for tracking using OpenCV 2.2 [w/ code]”

1. Tuxmanicon 17 Jun 2011 at 6:02 am

Really cool kalman filter demo ..

2. Stéphane Péchardon 20 Jun 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hi,
    I don't get why the transition matrix is set to:
    1,0,1,0, 0,1,0,1, 0,0,1,0, 0,0,0,1
    Why such values?

Thanks for the tutorial.
    Stéphane

3. Royon 20 Jun 2011 at 5:05 pm

@Stephanw
    Yes, I forgot to explain why...
    It's simple, the first two rows are the X and Y values, and the next 2 are X and Y velocity
    So X and Y location change according to the former location + the velocity, the velocity is changed according to the last value (it might be interesting to try values < 1 to module the decrease in velocity).
    Also, time variance is not represented in the system, i.e. if the samples are at S frames/second and the velocity is V pixels/second, the transform should change the measurement in pixels/frame.

4. Ananton 12 Jul 2011 at 10:28 am

Nice code! I would just suggest a little modification to improve the tracking and better feel to it. Using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

KalmanFilter KF(6, 2, 0);
    Mat_ state(6, 1); /* (x, y, Vx, Vy) */
    Mat processNoise(6, 1, CV_32F);
    ...
    KF.statePre.at(0) = mouse_info.x;
    KF.statePre.at(1) = mouse_info.y;
    KF.statePre.at(2) = 0;
    KF.statePre.at(3) = 0;
    KF.statePre.at(4) = 0;
    KF.statePre.at(5) = 0;
    KF.transitionMatrix = *(Mat_(6, 6) << 1,0,1,0,0.5,0, 0,1,0,1,0,0.5, 0,0,1,0,1,0, 0,0,0,1,0,1, 0,0,0,0,1,0, 0,0,0,0,0,1);
    KF.measurementMatrix = *(Mat_(2, 6) << 1,0,1,0,0.5,0, 0,1,0,1,0,0.5);

5. Ananton 13 Jul 2011 at 7:59 am

Hello Roy. I was wondering, have you applied kalman filtering to optical flow or any other such application. I am trying to use it with Optical flow to reduce the error in flow tracking, but I am not able to figure out how to formulate the Kalman state space representation.

6. Grahamon 13 Aug 2011 at 12:05 am

Thank you, I've been scouring the internet for months looking for a basic implementation. Because of this I was able to learn how to use the OpenCV Kalman Filter for my project. It still needs some fine tuning, but I managed to get it to track the Blob cog.

If you're ever in Malta, email me and I'll buy you a drink :)

7. Dagobertoon 05 Nov 2011 at 3:40 pm

My question is related to the initialization with KF.statePre, in example shown:

KF.statePre.at (0) = mouse_info.x;
    KF.statePre.at (1) = mouse_info.y;
    KF.statePre.at (2) = 0;
    KF.statePre.at (3) = 0;
    KF.statePre.at (4) = 0;
    KF.statePre.at (5) = 0

to make use of variable speed and acceleration KF.statePre.at no need to place (2) = mouse_velocity.x; KF.statePre.at (3) = mouse_velocity.y, and calculate? or the model automatically calculates these variables with KF.transitionMatrix even transition matrix?

8. Gabrielon 16 Nov 2011 at 7:02 pm

I tried this sample but I see that the kalman filtered tracker has a lot of lag (there's a delay until it reaches the real position), which is clearly not suitable to real-time needs.

Is it possible to fix this??

9. Martinon 01 Jan 2012 at 12:44 am

Thanks for providing your excellent code.
    I'm thinking to narrow down the search area for a face localization application in a video stream.

At first in frame0, say time t0, my application can detect position of a face as x0,y0). Then it searchs again the whole area of the next frame to locate the face in t1 which is (x1,y1) and so on... so the computational cost is high for such a blind search.

Assuming I have (x0, y0), and (x1,y1) as previous and current location of face, could you please let me know how can I modify your code to predict "Next Location" of face (instead of mouse location)?

Sorry, maybe this is a simple question, but I'm not so professional in programming. Please let me know which parts of your program should be replaced with the data I have: x0,y0 and x1,y1.

Thanks, Martin

10. Guyon 11 Jan 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thx for charing the code.
    Very nice example to start kalman filtering with opencv.

But there is one small mistake.
    The initial guess should be stored in line 6 etc. should be stored in KF.statePost, as the prediction step uses the corrected state to predict the next state (statePre):
    KF.statePre = KF.transitionMatrix * KF.statePost + ...

Or did I missunderstood anything?

11. zeinterneton 10 Feb 2012 at 4:21 pm

Excellent blog my friend.
    Just one question.
    How did you change the params to get to use velocity and not use velocity?

Cheers

12. Rozon 22 Mar 2012 at 7:29 pm

Wow really cool!
    Maybe you could help me:
    Im working on a project to track objects over some frames.

I detect the blob using color informations. Beacause of shadow they sometimes disappear in the next frames and appears later. How is it possible to track them and give the blobs an id so that the same blob has his own id???

Thx

13. polyluxon 27 Mar 2012 at 4:01 pm

In regard of the frequent question how to take velocity into account (which gets rid of the "lag" some posters refer to:
    Contrary to the example in the post above, the code in the main.cpp at its end does not include velocity (or: dx, dy) in the transition matrix.
    So instead of this:
    x y dx dy
    | 1 0 0 0 |
    | 0 1 0 0 |
    | 0 0 1 0 |
    | 0 0 0 1 |

change the matix to calc (x + dx) and (y + dy)
    x y dx dy
    | 1 0 1 0 |
    | 0 1 0 1 |
    | 0 0 1 0 |
    | 0 0 0 1 |

There ya go! :)

14. stephan schulzon 01 May 2012 at 10:18 pm

thanks for this great example code.

how would i change the code to work with 3d points (XYZ)?

do i have to extend this code somehow ?

KalmanFilter KF(6, 2, 0);
    Mat_ state(6, 1); /* (x, y, Vx, Vy) */
    Mat processNoise(6, 1, CV_32F);

15. Royon 02 May 2012 at 5:40 pm

@stephan
    Basically, yes.
    Just add a z and Vz parameters to the state, noise, etc.

16. stephan schulzon 11 May 2012 at 7:01 pm

thanks roy.
    so i got it working for a 3d point.
    now i am noticing that when the point does a circular/ orbit movement the kalman filter does not make a future prediction with a location ahead of the actual point/
    it seems, since orbiting is a constant change of direction the prediction does not work.

but is there a way to use kalman filter to exactly that, have a 3d point rotate around a center and predict its next position? i know the standard opencv example in the book has something similar by filtering the angle. but i need to keep my point and not convert them to angles.

thx.s.

17. moijhdon 05 Jun 2012 at 11:19 pm

Hi,

There is something I don't understand. Where are we calculateing the velocity ? I understood that to get the next position we have x + dx but how do we get this dx ? How does the filter knows that the third parameter is dx and not dy ?

I want make a prediction on something that is not a position but a size. I can't figure out where to add it (because I still want to know position and velocity).

Thanks.

18. sashon 28 Jun 2012 at 5:51 pm

Can you tell me,
    If process state ,I am going to estimate are random.
    It mean, A,Tranpotation matrix R , process noise covariance and measurement covariance will be not constant.
    Then , how kalman filter tune peramaters.

19. zalhoon 02 Jul 2012 at 5:25 pm

Thanks for this excelent example.

Why do you have some parts of code commented? like:
    //measurement += KF.measurementMatrix*state;
    //state = KF.transitionMatrix*state + processNoise;

What's the meaning of that?
    It has any utility or makes any difference in prediction/update?

Thanks.

20. mofoon 16 Aug 2012 at 10:19 pm

Hello.

Thank you for sharing.

This sample takes 2 measurement parameters. The velocity depends on this two measures (and the last two measures and the time), so i assume we don't need to provide 4 measurement parameters (positionX, positionY, velocityX, velocityY).

But how openCV knows how to calculate the velocity ?

21. Lourenson 20 Aug 2012 at 11:48 am

Thanks for this excelent example.

I do not have an measurement ready every frame, but I do want to use a prediction from the filter every frame. Do I then just feed the prediction instead of the measurement into the correct method to keep timing ok?

Thanks.

22. John Smithon 07 Sep 2012 at 12:00 am

Well, I think it's working... But sometimes, when function imshow is called (the second calling), a new overlapping window is created! Then, when I move the mouse on a window, the program draws in another one. Does anybody know why?

23. Harshitaon 07 Nov 2012 at 12:28 am

Hi Roy,

It's great to see that you got the Kalman filter working. I have been trying to use the Kalman filter to smooth the values found by the haar cascade face detection on OpenCV. The face cascade on openCV is used to detect the face and return the face position (x and y coordinates) and the face dimensions (height and width). But this data is quite jumpy and I am trying to smooth it out using the Kalman filter.

I ended up having 8 dynamParams and 4 measureParams, and 8 parameters for the state matrix. I replaced "mouse_info.x and y" in your code with the x and y coordinates of the detected face and added the width and height parameters as well.

This code did not work for me though and I was wondering if you could guide me onto the right way of doing this.

Thanks so much,

Harshita

24. Paulo Trigueiroson 22 Nov 2012 at 6:56 pm

how would i change the code to work with 3d points (XYZ)?
    how can I include the velocities in the parameters? I didn't quiet understand that yet??!?!

Thanks for your help.

Paulo

25. Carlos G.on 18 Dec 2012 at 4:54 pm

Hi,
    Thank you very much for this example, it's very useful!!
    However, I can't get it working... I just copy-pasted the source code, it compiles, but when I execute it the program crashes at "KF.predict()" (I use QtCreator 4.7.4, OpenCV 2.4.2, and it doesn't tell me what's the error)
    I also tried the sample from the SVN of OpenCV and it doesn't work either...
    Any hints about what might be happening?

Thanks in advance!

26. Matthäus Brandlon 15 Jan 2013 at 11:50 pm

Thanks, this really helped me a lot implementing my Kalman filters.

But one should initialize the state using statePost instead of statePre to avoid that the first prediciton yields all zeros.

Regards, Matthäus

27. andyon 21 Mar 2013 at 1:45 pm

I use the same cocept...and write a code in c/opencv.
    But it is giving run time errors.please help me.

My Code:
    #include "cv.h"
    #include "highgui.h"
    #include
    #include

using namespace std;

CvPoint point=cvPoint(-1,-1);
    CvPoint last_point;

vector mousev,kalmanv;

void my_mouse_callback(int event, int x, int y, int flags, void* param)
    {

cvInitMatHeader(&measurement,1,2,CV_32FC1,vals);

const CvMat* estimated= cvKalmanCorrect( kalman,&measurement);

int x11= (int)estimated->data.fl[0];
    int y11 =(int)estimated->data.fl[1];

CvPoint statePt=cvPoint(x11,y11);
    kalmanv.push_back(statePt);

cvLine( img, cvPoint(statePt.x - 5, statePt.y - 5 ),cvPoint( statePt.x + 5, statePt.y + 5 ), cvScalar(255,255,255), 2,16);
    cvLine( img, cvPoint(statePt.x + 5, statePt.y - 5 ),cvPoint( statePt.x - 5, statePt.y + 5 ), cvScalar(255,255,255), 2,16);

cvLine( img, cvPoint(measPt.x - 5, measPt.y - 5 ),cvPoint( measPt.x + 5, measPt.y + 5 ), cvScalar(255,255,255), 2,16);
    cvLine( img, cvPoint(measPt.x + 5, measPt.y - 5 ),cvPoint( measPt.x - 5, measPt.y + 5 ), cvScalar(255,255,255), 2,16);

for (int i = 0; i < mousev.size()-1; i++)
    {
    cvLine(img, mousev[i], mousev[i+1], cvScalar(255,255,0), 1);
    }

for (int i = 0; i 0 )
    break;
    //cvWaitKey(0);
    }
    if( code == 27 || code == 'q' || code == 'Q' )
    break;
    }

return 0;
    }

28. Royon 21 Mar 2013 at 2:44 pm

@andy
    Please provide the errors you get, else it's impossible to understand the problem.

29. andyon 21 Mar 2013 at 8:51 pm

Thanx a lot for reply...fortunately I solved the problem...sorry for trouble...!!
    I have another problem....I have used following two values of transition matrix:
    1> 1,0,1,0, 0,1,0,1, 0,0,1,0, 0,0,0,1
    2> 1,0,0,0, 0,1,0,0, 0,0,1,0, 0,0,0,1
    But getting same output...please help me.

30. andyon 21 Mar 2013 at 9:25 pm

hey roy please help me out....!!!

31. Royon 21 Mar 2013 at 9:46 pm

@andy
    your problem is then likely not in the transition matrix (if you try these two and the output is the same).
    check out the other parts of the code and make sure there are no bugs.

32. andyon 21 Mar 2013 at 10:44 pm

My Working Code is:
    #include "cv.h"
    #include "highgui.h"
    #include
    #include
    #include "math.h"

using namespace std;

CvPoint point=cvPoint(-1,-1);
    CvPoint last_point;

vector mousev,kalmanv;

void my_mouse_callback(int event, int x, int y, int flags, void* param)
    {

float trans_vals[] = {1,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0};
    /*CvMat tran;
    cvInitMatHeader(&tran,4,4,CV_32FC1,trans_vals);
    kalman->transition_matrix = cvCloneMat(&tran);*/
    CvMat* tran=new CvMat;
    cvInitMatHeader(tran,4,4,CV_32FC1,trans_vals);
    memcpy(static_cast(kalman->transition_matrix->data.fl),static_cast(tran),sizeof(tran));

cvSetIdentity( kalman->measurement_matrix);

float x11= estimated->data.fl[0];
    float y11 =estimated->data.fl[1];

printf("gandla");

CvPoint statePt=cvPoint(x11,y11);
    kalmanv.push_back(statePt);

cvZero(img);

for (int i = 0; i < mousev.size()-1; i++)
    {
    cvLine(img, mousev[i], mousev[i+1], cvScalar(255,255,0), 1);
    }

for (int i = 0; i 0 )
    break;
    //cvWaitKey(0);
    }
    if( code == 27 || code == 'q' || code == 'Q' )
    break;
    }

return 0;
    }

33. Davidon 24 Mar 2013 at 12:25 pm

Andy, Thanks for the post, I am using this successfully in my implementation. BTW do you have any hints on how I could replace OpenCV with my own code? Perhaps you have a site you could point me at?

Kind Regards

34. Disdon 28 Mar 2013 at 11:54 pm

Hello Roy and other

first thanks sharing this code!

and then a question: where are the initial states of the estimated position?

Because the estimated prediction start at (x,y)=(0,0) but i want to

initialize it at an other position!

Can you help me?

35. Caulion 17 Jun 2013 at 9:06 pm

I really don't know if it is my FPS that is too slow, but the kaman predicition is converging too slowly to the true point. Unlike this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtY1jQJ2fc ... it takes 15 seconds to cross the screen to reach a my mouse point.

Any ideas?

36. Royon 17 Jun 2013 at 9:45 pm

My latest OpenCV Kalman filter code is setup like so:

cv::KalmanFilter KF;
    cv::Mat_ measurement;

KF.init(4, 2, 0);
    setIdentity(KF.transitionMatrix);
    measurement = Mat_::zeros(2,1);
    KF.statePre.setTo(0);

setIdentity(KF.measurementMatrix);
    setIdentity(KF.processNoiseCov, Scalar::all(.05)); //adjust this for faster convergence - but higher noise
    setIdentity(KF.measurementNoiseCov, Scalar::all(1e-1));
    setIdentity(KF.errorCovPost, Scalar::all(.1));

Then on each new measurement

float dt = ...; // time since last measurement in millisec

KF.transitionMatrix.at(0,2) = dt;
    KF.transitionMatrix.at
    (1,3) = dt;

Mat prediction = KF.predict();
    Mat estimated = KF.correct(measurement);
    statePt.x = estimated.at(0);
    statePt.y = estimated.at
    (1);
    cout < < estimated << endl;

Works ok for me when tracking a mouse.

37. Caulion 17 Jun 2013 at 10:04 pm

After some experimentation, I changed:

setIdentity(KF.processNoiseCov, Scalar::all(1e-4));

to

setIdentity(KF.processNoiseCov, Scalar::all(1e-2));

38. sachin_rton 08 Jul 2013 at 8:40 pm

some part of the code is commented ? like measurement+=KF.measurementMatrix*state ;

randn(processNoise, Scalar(0),Scalar::all(sqrt(KF.processNoiseCov.at(0, 0))));

state = KF.transitionMatrix*state + processNoise;

Why is this so ?

39. Felixon 18 Jul 2013 at 5:00 pm

Why could it be that setting dt=100ms, which is the update-rate, results in good estimations, while setting it to 1 leads to total randomness?

I used the example I found on Wikipedia:

My (constant) Kalman gain is the following:

K = [dt^4/4, dt^3/2]^T * Q/(dt*dt*dt*dt*Q/4 + R)

with Q being the process noise (of the acceleration) and R being the measurement noise.

Why doesn't the estimation converge towards the real position (always slightly off), maybe because of wrong assumptions of Q and R?

Thank you so much!

40. alberton 22 Aug 2013 at 12:05 pm

hei roy,
    thanks.

with the noise parameter it works ok for the latency/delay.

but if I use the dt in the transition it predicts "too much": if I move the mouse in a straight line and then stop the kalman cross go forward too much and then get back to the mouse..
    why did you use the dt in the transition matrix?

then, in the screenshot, what did you mean with "using velocity"? using velocity in the measurement? or only in the dynamics? because I've tried to use velocity also in measurement (not sure if it really makes sense) but i didn't manage to figure out the right values for the matrixes and i get some
    segmentation fault or
    OpenCV Error: Assertion failed in matmul.cpp (row and lines are not correct..)

anyway, with the noise parameter it works great thanks!

41. JuarezASFon 24 Nov 2013 at 6:21 am

What if I want to keep predicting without entering new data? How should I set the matrixes of the kalman filter?

42. JuarezASFon 24 Nov 2013 at 6:30 am

Currently I'm just feeding the filter with the state it predicted, but it seems kind of stupid. I don't deeply understand Kalman's Filter but I feel like I can set the measurement matrix correctly and just get repeteadly KF.predict() to se more steps ahead.

43. JuarezASFon 24 Nov 2013 at 6:39 am

this is an answer to Cauli, he asked a few posts ago about the speed of the algorithm:

Try making the adjustments sugested by Anant in one of the first posts. It adds acceleration and velocity to the model and that will make the convergence much faster.

44. amunozon 25 Mar 2014 at 2:00 pm

Hi all,

I've changed somehow the Roy's excellent code. In a nuthshell, I've simulated some loss of measurament values when clicking left mouse button. I've added a line for drawing the prediction values, so when no measurament values are available, the prediction is still shown. If Roy feels comfortable with it, I could sumbit a shared link so you can check it.
    Greetings,
    Andrés

45. candyon 19 May 2014 at 11:52 am

Can you post your code, Andres?

46. […] http://www.morethantechnical.com/2011/06/17/simple-kalman-filter-for-tracking-using-opencv-2-2-w-cod&#8230; […]

Trackback URI | Comments RSS