Nov 13 2011

Just a simple Laplacian pyramid blender using OpenCV [w/code]

Published by at 9:39 am under code,graphics,opencv,programming

I want to share a small piece of code to do Laplacian Blending using OpenCV. It's one of the most basic and canonical methods of image blending, and is a must exercise for any computer graphics student.

Well basically it's a matter of creating two Laplacian pyramids of both images, and a Gaussian pyramid of the mask.
Then we blend the pyramids into one, and collapse the resulting pyramid into the blended image.

#include "opencv2/opencv.hpp"

using namespace cv;

class LaplacianBlending {
private:
	Mat_<Vec3f> left;
	Mat_<Vec3f> right;
	Mat_<float> blendMask;

vector<Mat_<Vec3f> > leftLapPyr,rightLapPyr,resultLapPyr;
	Mat leftSmallestLevel, rightSmallestLevel, resultSmallestLevel;
	vector<Mat_<Vec3f> > maskGaussianPyramid; //masks are 3-channels for easier multiplication with RGB

int levels;

pyrDown(currentImg, _down, leftSmallestLevel.size()); //smallest level

Mat down;
			cvtColor(_down, down, CV_GRAY2BGR);
			maskGaussianPyramid.push_back(down);
			currentImg = _down;
	}

void buildLaplacianPyramid(const Mat& img, vector<Mat_<Vec3f> >& lapPyr, Mat& smallestLevel) {
		lapPyr.clear();

Mat A = leftLapPyr[l].mul(maskGaussianPyramid[l]);
			Mat antiMask = Scalar(1.0,1.0,1.0) - maskGaussianPyramid[l];
			Mat B = rightLapPyr[l].mul(antiMask);
			Mat_<Vec3f> blendedLevel = A + B;

resultLapPyr.push_back(blendedLevel);

public:
	LaplacianBlending(const Mat_<Vec3f>& _left, const Mat_<Vec3f>& _right, const Mat_<float>& _blendMask, int _levels):
	left(_left),right(_right),blendMask(_blendMask),levels(_levels)
	{
		assert(_left.size() == _right.size());
		assert(_left.size() == _blendMask.size());
		buildPyramids();
		blendLapPyrs();
	};

Mat_<Vec3f> blend() {
		return reconstructImgFromLapPyramid();
};

Mat_<Vec3f> LaplacianBlend(const Mat_<Vec3f>& l, const Mat_<Vec3f>& r, const Mat_<float>& m) {
	LaplacianBlending lb(l,r,m,4);
	return lb.blend();
}

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
   Mat l8u = imread("left.png");
   Mat r8u = imread("right.png");
   Mat_<Vec3f> l; l8u.convertTo(l,CV_32F,1.0/255.0);
   Mat_<Vec3f> r; r8u.convertTo(r,CV_32F,1.0/255.0);

Mat_<float> m(l.rows,l.cols,0.0);
   m(Range::all(),Range(0,m.cols/2)) = 1.0;

Mat_<Vec3f> blend = LaplacianBlend(l, r, m);
   imshow("blended",blend);
   waitKey(0);
}

To use, simply call the function LaplacianBlend with your two images and your mask, and the result will be returned.
Here's something I did with it:

Enjoy
Roy.

13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Just a simple Laplacian pyramid blender using OpenCV [w/code]”

1. D3vilJinon 04 Dec 2011 at 9:47 am

Hi,
    I tried using the code,
    and i get an exception on this line:
    cvtColor(blendMask, currentImg, CV_GRAY2BGR);

any idea what could cause the problem?
    i'm kinda new to open cv

2. Royon 04 Dec 2011 at 5:20 pm

@D3vilJin
    I can't help without knowing what is exception..

3. Paulo Almeidaon 30 Dec 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi,
    I'm currently experimenting with your code and I have a few questions if you could answer:

does your class accept different kinds of images like CV_8UC3 and CV_32FC3;
    and if not, what are the relevant portions in the code where the image being a certain type is essential?

I will be grateful if you can help me with this.

4. Royon 31 Dec 2011 at 9:37 am

@Paulo Almeida
    It actually only likes Mat_ which is CV_32FC3
    You can make a simple conversion from CV_8UC3 to CV_32FC3 in the main function LaplacianBlend, or simply create another LaplacianBlend function that accepts Mat_ (CV_8UC3)

It would be nice if the whole thing will be templated, and then accept any kind of image without conversion

5. niko cavon 10 Feb 2012 at 7:22 pm

can you show me how I can call this in the main function? thanks.. I'am getting assertion failure.. So i was wondering, maybe there is a mistake on what I am doing.. Thanks and regards.

6. jackon 30 Apr 2012 at 10:00 pm

can you show how to use this in main, im getting assertion failure!
    hope to hear something soon! thank you!

7. Royon 30 Apr 2012 at 10:52 pm

@jack
    I've added a small main to the code excerpt.

8. jackon 02 May 2012 at 11:40 pm

Thank you! when i run the program the command line window pops up when the code is at pyrDown(currentImg, down), i guess it just doesn't do anything with it and just exits.. could that be because I am using opencv 2.2 ?

9. k_deeon 30 May 2012 at 4:50 pm

Even i'am facing the same problem as jack is facing,i'am also using open CV 2.2.
    I would be highly thankful if you could help me out with it.

10. Royon 31 May 2012 at 4:57 am

@k_dee @jack
    To get a better idea of the problem I would need some debug info.. like an exception thrown, etc.
    Anyway I recommend updating to OpenCV 2.3+ (2.4 is latest at the moment)

R.

11. ReinMon 11 Jul 2012 at 5:43 pm

Hi,
    I've been using your code and it works perfectly. I have a doubt, when I have an image where the part of interest is sorrounded by black pixels I got a frame of strong Laplacian lines that I wouldn't like to have (blending doesn't look well). How do I manage this situation ?. Thanks for your help.

12. Dirhemon 17 Apr 2013 at 9:43 pm

I get this error, can you tell me how to fix it?

here is the line of your code cause the error

Mat_ l; l8u.convertTo(l,CV_32F,1.0/255.0);

Here is the error message:

OpenCV Error: Assertion failed (!fixedType() || ((Mat*)obj)->type() == mtype) in unknown function.

PS: I am using Visual Studio 2012 and OpenCV 2.4.4

13. panovron 17 Nov 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi,
    thanks for code sharing!
    May you also supply the three images for experimenting?
    Thanks!